I love beans and rice. They are just so easy to make, and for vegans, they are a great source of fiber and protein. I try to make my meals a little richer and more colorful by adding extra spices and vegetables to them. Here is the recipe to a dish I made tonight. It only takes about 15-20 minutes and is easy to prepare.
Fancy Black Beans and Rice
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1 15 ounce can of low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of minced garlic
- bunch of green onions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a separate medium-sized pot.
- Add the black beans, minced garlic, and diced tomatoes to the pot.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and let the flavors mesh together in the bean and tomato mixture. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the brown rice to a plate and pour 1 or 2 ladles worth of the bean and tomato mixture on top. Make sure to include some of the delicious broth.
- Add the cilantro and green onion.
- Serve and enjoy.